Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Empire loves The Adventures of Tin Tin

The Adventures of Tin Tin has finally opened, and critics have given it a warm embrace. Empire magazine paid it a very well worded compliment: "Spielberg has brought a boy’s heart, an artist’s guile, and a movie-lover’s wit.” 


The first bit of good news is that the motion capture & 3D technology is, apparently, not only excellent, but merges well into the story, without being a distraction. The second bit of good news is that Spielberg captures the books' boyish sense of adventure with a nostalgic wit that hearkens back the heyday of Indiana Jones. Good news indeed.


The Adventures of Tin Tin should therefore do well at the box office and be a good companion piece to Spielberg's other 2011 movie - the considerably more Oscar-y War Horse (trailer to follow).


The latest trailer:


  

And a rad clip featuring Tin Tin's dog, Snowy:

3 comments:

  1. ooeee i just don't know... i'm curious to watch this and to see if it works. i just find this style of animation very laborious to watch. it's just too real to forgive the slightly slow movements of the characters and not real enough for me to forget that it's been drawn... and i don't see the point in the hyper-realness in the first place. part of tin tin's charm was always the slightly naive drawings and the bits inbetween that you had to imagine for yourself. by adding this oddly unreal reality it takes away a lot of the charm for me. (or is this just me being an old grump!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - I'm skeptical about the animation in this. All the early reviews say it works really well, which is why I posted this, but we shall see... I agree - personally I would have preferred simple 2D, but I guess 3D offers more excitement for the action bits. The part that really makes me nervous is the faces, though... even in the trailer, I get creeped out by Tin Tin's face...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But then again, in Planet of the Apes, for example, the hyper real motion capture is amazing. Perhaps it is the context - let animation be animation...

    ReplyDelete